Varilight dimmer not shown in Supla app

Fitpaul

I have tried to add a Varilight Smart WiFi dimmer to my Supla app. I have two other dimmers already working well.

Using the Add I/O Device wizard, the whole process appears to complete satisfactorily but when I go to the Supla app, the device is not shown. When I look at the error under device parameters it shows "previous state WiFi - Connecting".

I checked my router and it shows the device as connected with IP address 192.168.1.104.

I have tried putting the dimmer in configuration mode and re-adding it but I always get the same problem. Doing a factory reset (15 sec press) does not help either.

What more can I try?
pzygmunt

Maybe your router has a device limit?
Fitpaul

I considered that so I disconnected one of the other dimmers. It didn't help. Anyway, I've had 24 devices connected in the past. There are only 17 now so it can't be that.
pzygmunt

Maybe it's a firewall problem? Try to test connect the dimmer via hotspot.
Fitpaul

I tried this but it didn't help. If it was a firewall problem wouldn't it stop the other dimmers from working?
pzygmunt

Anything is possible, including a bad firewall. I'm surprised that the dimmer doesn't want to connect via Hotspot. How do you connect via hotspot, what can be seen in last state?
Fitpaul

Thank you for your help in trying to sort this out. I really appreciate your input. I tried using a hotspot with my phone again and this time it all worked. I think the last time I had not changed the WiFi parameters in the wizard (stupid me!). So now we know the device module works so where could the problem be? I temporarily turned off the firewall in my router but that didn't help. What can I try next?
pzygmunt

Make sure you have one DHCP server on your network. Make sure there is no IP conflict with any other device. Check if you have any MAC address filtering enabled. Try updating the dimmer via hostspot. Maybe this will help. The latest firmware version is 2.8.55
Fitpaul

I checked all the things you said. No issues. Version number is 2.8.55 what more can I try?
pzygmunt

If you see what IP the router assigns to this dimmer, send a longer ping there. From Windows it will be the ping -t IP command.
If you have the same SSID for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, try also giving a different name for 5Ghz wifi.

Return to “Help”