supla vs Blynk

wickedbeernut

Has anyone written a detailed comparison of supla and Blynk?
wickedbeernut

OK. How about this ... can someone provide a high-level comparison of supla and Blynk? What are the fundamental differences?
wickedbeernut

How about this ... can someone point me to the supla documentation?

I’ve found the GitHub repositories, YouTube videos, cloud API, … however, I can’t seem to find the supla documentation.

A supla user with his own custom ESP8266 board just joined the Blynk Community forum (https://community.blynk.cc/). He’s looking for help in “porting” his supla app to Blynk. I’m trying to better understand supla in order to help him out.

Is supla winding down? I only see four other active topics this month.
pzygmunt

Supla growing very dynamically. Due to the large amount of Polish content, the forum is positioned by Google mainly in Poland, hence few materials in English. We have small resources and there is nobody who knows both projects well enough to compare them. In addition, you are the first person to ask about it.
wickedbeernut

Thank you for taking the time to reply, @pzygmunt.
pzygmunt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 am Supla growing very dynamically.
Good to hear. Congratulations!
We have small resources and there is nobody who knows both projects well enough to compare them.
In addition, you are the first person to ask about it.
I'd never heard of supla until your forum member joined the Blynk forum. I searched the Blynk forum and didn't find a single reference to supla. I searched the supla forums and found very few references to Blynk.

The two seem very similar.

Blynk has "free" iOS and Android apps (with in-app purchases) for building / configuring the UI. This configuration is referred to as a "project" You can create an app "preview" of a project, however, you can't export or share the app. Blynk will publish your project to Google Play and the App Store with subscription plans starting at $249 USD / month,

https://blynk.io/pricing

Can you help me understand the supla business model? How do you make money?

Blynk facilitates communication between the app and hardware (and vice versa) via a cloud or local / private server. This includes monitoring and controlling device analog, digital and "virtual" pins. Virtual pins are simply bi-directional, general-purpose communication channels. The supla library includes firmware to interface with popular device drivers. This would seem to be one difference between supla and Blynk. Over half a million users have interfaced Blynk with just about every device driver imaginable, however, the interface firmware is not maintained by Blynk as part of the GitHub library. Is my understanding of this difference correct?

Of course, Blynk provides dozens of widgets, dynamic device discovery / auth token provisioning, OTA firmware updates, user account management, ... Obviously, it wouldn't make sense to enumerate all of the features here. I'm more interested in architectural differences and differences in the overall approach / philosophy. Are you aware of any such differences?
riyarathi

pzygmunt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 am Supla growing very dynamically. Due to the large amount of Polish content, the forum is positioned by Google mainly in Poland, hence few materials in English. We have small resources and there is nobody who knows both projects well enough to compare them. In addition, you are the first person to ask about it.

That's great.have a great day :)

Return to “Help”