Varilight disconnecting after 1 day

pzygmunt

Theoretically, everything should work flawlessly.
I have forwarded the issue directly to the manufacturer. I think they'll be back on Monday.
ArmElec

pzygmunt wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:59 pm Theoretically, everything should work flawlessly.
I have forwarded the issue directly to the manufacturer. I think they'll be back on Monday.
Thank you.
At present it is still connected, I’ll keep you posted.
Ragga

pzygmunt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:15 pm You need to put the dimmer in configuration mode.
Then connect to its WiFi network.
Go to http://192.168.4.1
Set "Firmware update" to "Yes".
Press "Save"
Exit setup mode
Why aren't firmware updates enabled by default from factory? Seems like a no-brainer since you can't enable them in the app or cloud.
As the process seems like a lot for your average consumer tbh.
As I spoke to Varilight support many months ago on the phone and they made no mention of having to enable updates, after sending a replacement module which suffered the same bug, all they said was I'd have to wait for an update to be released to fix the issue; no more no less.
pzygmunt

This is a deliberate action on our part. Nevertheless, when adding a device, the application changes the dimmer settings so that it updates its firmware.
clotspond

Can you please send post a link to the exact LEDs you are using. We would like to source few to have a closer look at characteristics of this load. Stock Market Courses Hubspot agency
Skazer

Did this ever happen?

Does anyone have a proven bulb specification that remains consistently connected and available?

What kind of testing was done? Better tooling to advise customers on what does and doesn’t work would help, assuming the switches have any known good combinations at all. Over £1000 worth of switches and nearly all don’t work.

So disappointing. I had a diy zwave setup that whilst not having in-switch-dimmer was solid as a rock re connections over years to …

19 disconnected, 3 connected.

I use predominantly Philips Master LED 8.5 W (60 W) A60, E27 Edison Screw, Bulb, Warm White, Dim Tone, Clear.

Anyone have anything that works for more than a few days before dropping off network please let me know? What bulbs are doing this?

My fw vers are predominantly 55, some 52, 51 and a few 48s.

What debugging is available to get to the root cause?

Help gratefully received.

John
Attachments
IMG_0035.PNG
IMG_0035.PNG (433.93 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
pzygmunt

@Skazer I forwarded your report to Varilight. Please do not write in several threads on the forum, but only in one.
Varilight_MB

@skazer
It a shame you have some many issues with your dimmers. I will try my best to address you post above:

There were more than 60 LED loads tested with the product during its development and counting, when it comes to load characteristics there are many variables such as mains voltage, other devices connected to the same feed, type and number of LEDs (LED production batch - alternative BOM) etc Unfortunately it is not possible to predict every specific combination especially when it comes to LEDs therefore Varilight updates their products to keep up with the new loads and to address compatibility issues.

Varilight tried to provide recommendations when it comes to LEDs but it caused a lot of trouble as manufacturers are changing lamp internal components without notice and selling them under same model name.

There were number of software updates for its product improving its performance.
If you would like to test if the newer software takes care of these issues you can follow the below procedure:

1 Put your dimmer in to AP mode by pressing the knob for about 6s (LED will be flashing)
2 Use your phone to re-add device to your account using a add device wizard.
3 There in no need to change any details such as Wi-Fi passwords etc
4 Device will check for updates and will install them automatically (rapid flashing) it will take up to one minute
5 Dimmer then should appear in you account under same name.

If the above would not address the issues you are experiencing with your dimmers, Varilight CS can send you latest hardware/updated version to try and if you are happy with it replace all affected units. PM sent
Varilight Technical
jcswright

@Varilight_MB When you talk about the LED loads, do you mean that you had to test them to make sure you could get enough control voltage for the switch? So when you talk about lowering the maximum brightness, is that also so that you can prevent brownouts? It seems a shame to limit the LED brightness.

Could you add an optional neutral to the switch, with a note to tell people that with some loads it will be required? Then you'd have a 'get-out' for all cases - if someone is having problems you can just tell them to add a neutral! (And people would have the option of adding one if they wanted the switch to be rock-solid.)

I was changing the lighting circuit anyway before I installed the V-Pro dimmer, and I assumed the dimmer needed one so I added a neutral while I was at it (the house has conduit so it was relatively easy). Imagine my surprise when I went to wire in the switch :shock:

Return to “Help”