Can't logon to supla to change settings on dimmer

HappyDave

So I took the one of the dimmers and put it on another circuit that all ready had a working varilight dimmer, the dimmer works fine, and I was able to connect to the settings to change mode etc. So there is something strange happening in the other room.

Obviously I have different lights so I might change these first as I don't know what's actually installed other then they dim at the moment.

But I don't know what is stopping me from changing the setting on the dimmer, it registers fine just times out on the setting. It is not connected directly to my wi-fi hub but its on the same ip range and I can ping the dimmer from anywhere.
pzygmunt

There are two chip on the dimmer board. The first ESP8266 is for communication with Supla and user, and the second is PIC for dimming and settings. To enter the settings, the user must enter the correct password. If the password is OK, the application sends message to ESP to switch the PIC to configuration mode. At this point something abnormal is going on preventing the PIC from going into configuration mode. Only Varilight knows how the PIC works and only their engineer has the opportunity to analyze what may be going on there. It is a very interesting unusual case that requires careful analysis.
HappyDave

Is it the ESP8266 that is timing out trying to get a response from the PIC? Does this send a packet back to you saying no response from the pic?
I'd assumed it was your server unable to get any response from the dimmer.
pzygmunt

The smartphone sends a "Switch to configuration mode" message to the server, the server sends this message to the ESP, and the ESP sends the command to the PIC. Timeout occurs when there is no response (PIC-> ESP-> Server-> Client).
I never completely rule out a problem with the Supli software, however in my opinion it is a problem at the ESP / PIC interface or directly at the PIC. However, I can be wrong. We need to work with Varilight to reproduce this problem to find out what is causing it. To do this, we have to wait for the engineer from Varilight.
pzygmunt

There is an icon (i) next to the control channel in the application. Please touch it next to the device with the problem. Please upload a screenshot here. I am interested in what the wifi signal strength is reported by the dimmer in the location where there are problems with it.
HappyDave

Photo for you.
The dimmer is next to a WiFi access point so should be fine.
supla.png
supla.png (29.55 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
pzygmunt

OK, Thanks for the screenshot. Probably Varilight will contact you to get more information (connection method / type of light source etc) in order to reproduce the problem.
HappyDave

So I replaced the bulbs, turns out the existing 4 bulbs where all 50w halogen so that's what the problem was. Now replaced with 4 5W LED lights and it works fine.

In my defence, I bought this house 12 months ago and have slowly gone through replacing all the dimmers with varilight dimmers to support trailing edge mode. Every room has had existing led bulbs, this last one caught me out.
pzygmunt

I understand that 4 bulbs 50W each were connected to a single dimmer? Can you send old halogens to Varilight headquarters?

We want to reproduce the problem that occurred with your lighting in order to better address this problem.
Varilight_MB

We are happy that the issue has been resolved and dimmer works correctly.
It took us a while to get there but confusion with the type of the load initially reported as 4x GU10 LED ruled out some answers.
The maximum load for V-Pro Smart Supla dimmer is 100W therefore 4x50W (200W) would trigger overload protection and dimmer cutting out to prevent any damage.
Varilight Technical

Return to “Help”