Cannot change wifi channel, why?

pisoiu

Hi all,
I have a ZAMEL MEW-01 device which worked perfectly since initial install, 6-7 months ago.
Due to changing conditions on my wifi network, I need to change the wifi channel I am working on. Currently I am on channel 10 and this is the channel used initially to pair the device. After I change the channel to any other value except 10 (all other parameters are the same, ssid, etc.), the device stops working and I cannot make it to connect to wifi. Nothing works. I tried to pair the device again several times, I deleted the device from web interface and tried to pair it again, but it does not connect, no matter what I do. After the device is put in config mode with the button (led flashes), the android app configures it with the wifi ssid/pwd, it connects to device's config hotspot, but after that it waits indefinitely in the next screen saying 'ssid not found''. After all these attempts, when I change the network channel back to 10, the device connects instantly.
Any advice?
Thanks.
pzygmunt

I can provide you with an unofficial version of the firmware v2.8.11 which is based on the newer libraries of the manufacturer of the WiFi chip. Perhaps it will help. To do this, you would have to give me your email address of the account to which MEW is connected (if on priv).
pzygmunt

Update attached to your device.

To upgrade:
1. Connect the module to cloud.supla.org (it should be visible in the application)
2. Switch the module back into the configuration mode by holding down the CONFIG button for at least 5 seconds, until the LED starts flashing quickly
3. Connect to the WiFi network that starts with the name "ZAMEL -..."
4. Open the page http://192.168.4.1
5. Set "Firmware update" to "YES"
6. Save
7. Restart the module, eg by briefly pressing the CONFIG button

...Write if it helped and what router do you have.
pisoiu

Thanks. Device is at home, not available now. I will try asap and update about progress.
pisoiu

As a side note, it is strange that this is happening. I have a bunch of other devices, ip cameras, sonoffs, they all jump instantly on the new configuration as long as you don't touch ssid/pwd.
pzygmunt

Your MEW is still not updated to version 2.8.11
pisoiu

Hi,
After 2 hours of trying I abandoned the idea. Which is quite frustrating, since this device wasn't exactly cheap and I cannot use it. I have another ~10 sonoff devices which works badly because channel 10 is crowded in my area. I need to change it, they work well on channel 1-2 but I lose the meter.
Upgrade went successful but that's the end of what went well.
After upgrade, I moved the router (MiWi-Fi router) to channel 1, it worked once. Then I changed the bandwidth of the router to 'auto' (it was 20mhz) and reboot. After that, everything stopped working. After that, I tried everything, bandwidth back to 20, delete device, re-pairing, delete all parameters from its config page, pairing again, etc. Nothing works. Of course, until I put the router back to channel 10.
pzygmunt

It is difficult for me to relate to it. Nobody has reported such a problem to us before, and we have several hundred thousand devices connected to the cloud.
Maniek913

pisoiu wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm Hi,
After 2 hours of trying I abandoned the idea. Which is quite frustrating, since this device wasn't exactly cheap and I cannot use it. I have another ~10 sonoff devices which works badly because channel 10 is crowded in my area. I need to change it, they work well on channel 1-2 but I lose the meter.
Upgrade went successful but that's the end of what went well.
After upgrade, I moved the router (MiWi-Fi router) to channel 1, it worked once. Then I changed the bandwidth of the router to 'auto' (it was 20mhz) and reboot. After that, everything stopped working. After that, I tried everything, bandwidth back to 20, delete device, re-pairing, delete all parameters from its config page, pairing again, etc. Nothing works. Of course, until I put the router back to channel 10.
What model is the router? I also had a xiaomi router some time ago and there were similar problems with channels, not with MEW, but I replaced it. For now, temporarily set up a hot-spot on the phone with the same ssid and password, and test the connection.
pisoiu

My main router is Xiaomi Mi AIoT Router AC2350, secondary is tp-link TL-WR840N, bridged. I have around 10 sonoff devices connected to main router, several wifi cameras and other phones, tablets, TV, etc. All work fine when changing channels. It is really difficult for me to blame the router since the mew device is the only one which does not work when channels are changed.

Return to “General discussion”